OxBlog

Friday, March 19, 2004

# Posted 4:39 PM by Ariel David Adesnik  

LAYING THE SMACKDOWN ON RUMSFELD: Yes, I got this video clip from MoveOn.org (via Matt Yglesias). But the SecDef does make a complete fool of himself.

On an unrelated note, Matt has graciously admitted that New Haven has the best pizza in the United States. While Matt believes that good pizza can generally be found throughout the nation, he notes that he has not yet found it in Washington, DC.

As a former resident of the nation's capital, I must sadly inform Matt that he is not going to find it there. The best DC has to offer is Bertucci's, which is actually pretty good but nothing to write home about.

UPDATE: Eve Tushnet writes
Bertucci's? Oy Gott! No.

Doubtless you have already gotten fifty of these emails, but I must add my voice to the chorus:
Pizzeria Paradiso. It's in Dupont Circle (20th and P-ish), it's teeny tiny thus there are long waits, and
it serves pizza that is (I will say this) BETTER THAN SALLY'S. (I never made it to Pepe's, so take my words with however much salt that warrants.) BETTER THAN SALLY'S!

Also, if you like Chicago-style (I do), Armand's is fantastic. There's one on GA Ave in Silver Spring, one at Friendship Heights, one in the general Farragut North area, and one at Union Station. I have no idea how it compares to pizzas in actual-factual Chicago, but it is really, really good.
You know, I did eat at Paradiso once. It was quite good, but I wouldn't have put it in the same league as Sally's. Maybe I was just there on an off night. As for Armand's, I think it's pretty run of the mill. Or perhaps it's gotten better since I left town. Frankly, I'm surprised that I don't see eye to eye with someone like Eve who is known for having good taste. Oh well.

Now for those of you in Alexandria, Mark the Pundit recommends Generous George's. And finally, getting back to DC, TB writes that
Two places sell world class pizza in the DC area. The Italian Store in the Lyon Park Shopping Center off of Spout Run has great Pizza and great sandwiches too. Don't try walking in to get a slice on the weekend. The place is mobbed. And then there is Faccia Luna; they make it all over the place now.
Spread the word.
I haven't heard of either place, but I'm an open-minded pizza lover, so I'll be sure to give both a try when I get the chance!
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home