OxBlog

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

# Posted 8:09 AM by Patrick Belton  

BACK TO PLAY....This after a lovely sun-splotted weekend spent discharging the happy honor of steering my beloved friends Rafael and Alexandra Cox down the aisle at Trinity, and several subsequent days spent scribbling in the Bodleian to get to the point where I can call myself a real DPhil student. But not wanting David to get lonely or be playing all by himself, I thought I'd come back to play....

So, first of all, a few quick links to today's best of the web:

My DC foreign policy posse, the Nathan Hale gang, drives home just how superfluous I am by having - while I'm away - a splendid and searching discussion examining US policy options toward North Korea.

MEMRI has a quite good summary of the current situation facing the pro-democracy student demonstrators in Iran.

Eurasianet has added some typically insightful analyses to their website: on Turkish and US interests in Iraq, military-civil tensions again within Turkey, and Hizb ut-Tahrir. With regard to the last, the ICG's caution that more democracy, rather than more repression, is the appropriate way to deal with Central Asian extremism is extraordinarily welcome and timely.

Via my friend Alexandra, here are two round-ups of the recent Mexican legislative elections: here and here too.

Rita Katz and Josh Devon, whom I'm privileged to know slightly, have a quite good piece in NRO on terrorists' use of the internet. And Stratfor has a good, non-subscription piece on the strategic challenges posed in pursuing counterinsurgence operations in Iraq.

That's it for now - happy reading. I'll be off scribbling.
(0) opinions -- Add your opinion

Comments: Post a Comment


Home